Sunday, April 3, 2011

Beef tendon and tofu braise

In an attempt to entertain myself in the midst of exam studying, I decided to experiment with some beef tendon and tripe.
I ended up creating an assortment of dishes, as usual.

Here's one that was particularly successful.

Beef tendon and tofu braise

1) Prepare the tendon

Ingredients:
Beef tendon (can be frozen)
Lots of salt/other flavorings

- wash wish warm water
- place in a big tub with water and plenty of salt/other flavors you would like to tendon to absorb. I think it's really important to not go lightly with the seasoning here, as you want your tendon to taste of something
- bring to boil then reduce to simmer, getting rid of the scum and oil that rise.
- keep simmering for 3-4 hours or until the edges of the tendon are tender enough. Inside may still be a bit firm, but it'll finish cooking in the stew

2) The Braise!

Ingredients:
Minced garlic and ginger
oil
stock/water
dark miso
soy sauce, mirin, rice wine
sugar or kepap manis (optional, if you like the sauce a little sweeter.)
XO sauce, to taste. I used about 2-3 teaspoons
tofu
tendon
Fish or meat balls, the frozen kind you can find in Asian grocery stores, often used for Oden (ใŠใงใ‚“)
cilantro or green onion

- Stir-fry some minced garlic and ginger in oil in a big wok or pot for a few seconds
- Add some cut tofu, letting it warm through and brown a little bit (I personally like that color on my tofu)
- Add some water or salt-less beef stock. I actually used the stock from the tripe that I'd been cooking in my slow cooker.
- Let things come to a boil
- Add a table spoon of dark miso and mix well
- Add a good glug of sake, soy sauce, mirin. I honestly don't know how much I put... I just make sure there's some color, then taste, and add according to what I think tastes good.
- Add some XO sauce. This really is key - takes the dish from tasting really Japanese to a nice Chinese/Japanese fusion dish
- Cut the tendon up into nice chunks and throw into the soup
- Throw your fish/meat balls into the pot. These are really added for extra depth of flavor in the sauce.
- Let everything simmer for a while until you tendon is almost melting away. Really, the tendon in this dish should melt in your mouth.
- In the end, add some cilantro or scallion for some freshness

Delicious~~

No comments:

Post a Comment