Thursday, September 9, 2010

first standardized patient interview!

Was today.

It was actually so much fun, and I am now even more excited about my future career!
I had an older gentleman who came in complaining of constant fainting spells. Important points to hone in were frequency, duration, activities leading up, side symptoms (chest pain, heart palpitations, stress, changes in lifestyle/diet, etc.), and relevant medical history. Other important points were affecting and associated factors, medication, alcohol and/or recreational drug use. Some things the patient later said I should ask more were social factors - does he have a good support system? How does the fainting affect his lifestyle?

But I was told I made good eye contact, made smooth transitions between the questions, showed empathy, allowed him to ask questions and state concerns. His actual comments were: "I liked your direct and caring manner, very engaging and this made me feel confident in you as a doctor. I felt that you asked good follow up questions and gave a good summary."
All of these things may seem so common-commonsensical (I know I did while I was reviewing the lecture on patient interviews). But first time in a real clinical setting with a patient (doesn't matter that he's an actor) really made me nervous! I almost forgot what to do after I shook hands with him.  But after talking to him, hearing his story, I almost forgot that this was a training setting and all I wanted to do was take his concerns away. Make him feel reassured that we will take care of him.

I know some students here don't enjoy patient interaction and want to go into pathology or anesthesiology, but this is something for which I really felt a calling. And I am glad I enjoyed it so much because I really think an excellent physician not only has technique and skill (which can be taught...) but has the patient-oriented drive and motivation. I also would like to be the physician or surgeon that has the right instincts and can be creative. think outside the box. Those attributes, I have no idea whether I have yet or not, but what I need first and foremost is a solid background and knowledge.

So back to biochemistry studying!


Summer in Japan: Red Lanterns and Fuurins (ふうりん・glass wind chimes)

No comments:

Post a Comment