Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Her face

We unveiled the cloth covering Gertrude's face today to begin the head dissection.
Again, I wasn't as provoked as I thought I would be. She did seem like a nice, old lady that one would see maybe sitting on the porch, drinking southern lemonade. She didn't have any teeth either. But, her lips were white, tongue discolored and deformed, eyes were glossed over, and her face was flat (perhaps because she had been on her stomach for so long.

I did enjoy the facial dissection - all of the careful cuts and maneuvers we had to do to clean around nerves, veins, and arteries was... fun. I think I'm pretty good at these detailed procedures. I was able to expose and preserve the internal jugular vein and its branches to the facial vein and retromandibular vein. I was able to find the common carotid artery and its branches into external and internal. And, with the help of David (TA), I was able to clear out most of the branches of the external carotid artery. What's cooler, I was able to take the facial artery from its branch-point from the external corotid and trace is up through the submandibular duct, across the mandibles, and into the cheek. It unfortunately got severed and my other tank mates started peeling away the facial skin. I'm pretty proud of that handiwork.

I'm also beginning to be able to immediately recognize a vein versus artery versus nerve. Small nerves and arteries are still a little tricky.

And here is a good mnemonic for branches of the external carotid artery:

SAL FO PMS
S = superior thyroid artery
A = ascending pharyngeal artery
L = lingual artery
F = facial artery
O = occipital artery
P = posterior auricular artery
M = maxillary artery
S = superior temporal artery



this post was more of an anatomy self-review than a reflection...
I do have a lot more acronyms for anatomy (many of them dirty for bigger mental impact).
I'll post those up later


View of Paris from Pompidou, May 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment