Tuesday, November 9, 2010

White Coat Ceremony

The White Coat Ceremony seems to be a new tradition for medical schools, started in the 80s in Columbia Medical School I believe?

Honestly, I don't feel ready or qualified to wear or even own a white coat. We haven't even finished half a year of medical school! A friend of mine put pictures of Halloween and the WCC in the same facebook photo album, titled 'Playing Dress Up.' My feelings exactly... When I got my coat, the arms were a little too long and I really felt like one of those little kids, playing dress up their mothers' shoes and jewelry, slabbering on some lipstick and blush.

But, as my mentor insisted, the White Coat is a symbol of physician-hood critical to the professional physician persona that we have to build. And that building doesn't happen overnight but takes years to develop. And that road has to begin now, even as students. And when we put those white coats on, we have to put on that professional persona and live up to the expectations that society has of a physician.

Am I ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment