Sunday, May 22, 2011

Listen to the Body

Listen: It can tell us many things if we just pay attention to its whisper. Listen: Because by the time our body is yelling at us, it may be too late.


As I grow older, I know that I will witness the passing of many close and loved ones. I am afraid, although I know it is inevitable.

Yesterday, my boyfriend's young friend passed away of lung cancer at the blossoming age of 32. He was married, has a 1 year old baby boy, healthy and fit as can be. Thirty Two Years Old. Far too young... Do the good really have to die young?
My boyfriend met up with him a month or 2 ago as this friend was in TX for a business trip. He said that the friend seemed fine, but he did ask my boyfriend how his health was. My boyfriend laughed saying, everything is good, just getting older and fatter. The friend, however, said that his lower back has been really aching lately. In early May, he finally went to the doctor and they diagnosed him with metastatic end-stage lung cancer. He died only a few weeks later, complete shocking everyone. Even a mere 4-5 days before his death, he was eating home-made food from friends, saying how delicious it was. Just a week before his death, he was writing to people that although the treatment is aggressive, draining, and sometimes painful, he is feeling better and feels physically and mentally ready for a full-blown chemo or radiation therapy. And then he just... dies. At 32.

Listen to your body... At 32, so young and fit... a chronic back ache that seems strange and misplaced really might be your body telling you "something is wrong! get it checked out!" Just make a quick appointment to a family doctor... go to a screening. If you can, just order some X-rays. Really, not as expensive as MRIs or CTs or PET scans. I would much rather be labeled a hypochondriac then to realize a disease too late.


My mother also told me that her lab member came to her this past week, saying that he has stage 4 renal cell carcinoma. Prognosis... I don't know... But the tumors on his kidneys are large. My mother cried and cried and cried. She noticed that he had been losing weight lately, and her co-worker just said, yea! I've been working out every Thursday after work, and I feel great afterwards. But think about it! Working out one day a week can't lead to noticeable weight loss... That was probably another big sign the body was trying to shout out.

No comments:

Post a Comment