Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Difficult introduction of 2 cats pt.II

It has been a week since I've adopted my new kitten, and I am thrilled.
The introduction process - although going slowly at first - suddenly took off!

Day 3
By day 3, I had decided to introduce the two through just a cage, uncovered.
On day 2, I took new kitten to the vet, so during that time, I let resident cat sniff out the bathroom where kitten was confined. I also covered the carrier with a cloth, and put that in the center of the living room. Of course, resident cat hissed at it.
So here are the steps for Day 3
- I put new kitten in the carrier and placed it initially covered, in the living room.
- Let resident cat become aware of its presence
- I then took out resident cat's favorite treats and gave them to her in front of the still covered cage
- Slowly, I unveiled the cage while the resident cat was scarfing down the treats
- Lots of hissing. Even a cat punch. Actually, resident cat even cat punched me when I was trying to push new kitten's paws back into the cage. It's funny, even though a big cat is hissing and punching right in front of him, new kitten didnt seem scared at all. He was sticking out his paws through the cage, meowing. Luckily, resident cat has never punched baring her nails, so I didn't get hope and hopefully kitten didn't either
- After the treats, I just left the cage uncovered, in the room for 30-40 minutes.


Day 4 - MIRACLE DAY!
So Day 4... Perhaps I was rushing. BUT, I decided to just introduce them face-to-face
Why so soon? Well -- I saw resident cat and kitten pawing at each other through the crack of the bathroom door.
Resident cat didn't seem afraid of the kitten anymore, and definitely less hissing. She also just lay by the bathroom, relaxed.
So what I did:
- Again, I put kitten in carrier and put it in the living room.
- Once resident cat was aware.... I just opened the cage door. Let nature run its course!
- Cautiously, kitten steps out.
- No hissing yet!
- Kitten then begins exploring the living room
- Resident cat follows kitten
- Kitten starts playing with the curtain strings.
- Resident cat curiously paws at the kitten.
- Kitten takes off in a run -- Cat follows -- then a long whirlwind of cat-chase begins.
- They switch being chased and chasing.

Now, 1 week after adoption, I hear no hissing at all. They get along great. Rough play a lot, resident cat even licks kitten sometimes, they eat food together...

I think things will be just fine.
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment