Thursday, October 7, 2010

first in-patient visit

53 year old man who came to the ER one day ago complaining of a sharp pain on his right side which radiated to his back, worsened when lying down, and was exacerbated by deep respiration. He had clear stomach distention. He expressed a history of alcoholic consumption and has also suffered from bilateral lower extremity edema.
Upon removal of 5L of fluid from his abdomen, he showed clear signs of improvement and the pain has been alleviated.

This was essentially how I presented my first in-patient to my mentor (as practice.. after she and other repeated it a few times). We had to have a Spanish interpreter with us, which was quite a new experience, but I think I had some pretty good practice. I'll be having to do a lot of presenting like this once I start rotations at the hospital.

Later, we went and looked up his chart and found that this gentleman most like has hepatitis C. The doctors are repeating the test to confirm before telling him the news. My mentor says that most likely, looking at his past and current state of health as well as SES, he only has a few months to hit. That reality hit me pretty hard.

I am really glad that medical school weaves in real patient interactions like these. I think it really reminds us what we are in medical school for. Not to make good grades. Not to learn how to pass a pass/fail course with good efficiency. Not to aim for top x% to make it into a certain residency program. We are here to learn how to treat, cure, and save lives. We are here to learn how to heal.
I have to admit that I forget this little detail all the time and get focused on other aspects of medical school. But that's why I really appreciate this 2 hour session with our mentors every week - brings the larger picture back into perspective.




Eric Morton Wang. ~in memory~

No comments:

Post a Comment