Saturday, October 16, 2010

Soy Beans Pastes

This post is a dedication to the Japanese versions of three types of lesser known(?) soy bean pastes beyond the widely used japanese "miso" or fermented soybean paste. These sauces/condiments originally are from Chinese and Korean cuisine, but Japanese have to take the idea and create their own version, as always. I'm also more familiar with these products than actual Chinese or Korean ones.

1. To Ban Jan/Dou Ban Jiang (豆板醤)
wiki English
wiki Japan

This is a spicy soybean paste often sold in the Japanese product lane like this :

Shisen ToBanJan, Youki (asianfoodgrocer.com)
My grandmother used this in a variety of chinese-inspired dishes to add a spicy kick, especially Mao Bo Dofu (麻婆豆腐、マーボー豆腐)
I have several Japanese recipes of this that I can translate and post later, but there are tons of recipes out there.

My Chinese/Taiwanese friends always eat this noodle dish, za jiang mien (炸醤麺), which I think of as the Chinese version of spaghetti with meat marinara sauce. Found a recipe for that from recipetin here.


Other classic dishes using To Ban Jan include:

Hui Guo Rou, 回鍋肉(ホイコーロー): Often called twice-cooked pork at Chinese restaurants.
Ban Ban Ji, 棒棒鶏(バンバンジー) : Szechuan style beaten chicken
Dan Dan Mien, 担担麺(タンタンメン): Spicy noodle soup


2. Ten Men Jan/Tien Mien Jiang(甜面醤)
wiki English
wiki Japan

This is a sweet soy bean paste (very distinct flavor in my opinion... I often think it tastes like what people call XO jiang) that is sold in the Japanese food aisle like this:

Ten Men Jan, Youki (marukaistore.com)

Mao Bo Dofu and Ten Mien Jiang often use this ingredient.
I often mix it into hot pot dipping sauces as well.


3. Ko Chu Jan(고추장、苦椒醤)
wiki English
wiki Japan:

And finally we have the traditional Korean spicy chili paste, sold Japanified as a chili pepper miso paste:
Ko Chu (chi) Jan, Youki (asianfoodgrocer.com)
 I unfortunately don't know much about this ingredient and don't use it that often since I don't make spicy dishes too often。Wanted to include it for thoroughness purposes.



 


No comments:

Post a Comment